South Glasgow Hospital Campus
Ecoteric are the Low Carbon Design advisers to the New Southern General Hospital, Glasgow; placed by the Carbon Trust with this project in 2008.
Since that time, Susan Logan, has provided many services keeping carbon issues firmly on the agenda, including:
- Advised on the appointment of the Boards advisers
- Provided advice to the team on the exemplar design for the new Hospital
- Worked with the procurement team to set a strategy for carbon and sustainability targets, resulting in the setting of 80kg/CO2/annum operational energy including unregulated loads
- Supplied the section of the output specification dealing with energy and sustainability
- Taken part in the competitive dialogue and tender evaluation, ensuring that a significant score of the quality evaluation was applied to the energy and sustainability issues.
- Set up a tracker system to monitor the emergent design against the energy and carbon objectives
- Monitored the operational energy model
- Chaired an monthly tracker meeting through the design period
- Audited key design drawings and specifications to ensure opportunities were taken to implement efficient design – this included mechanical and electrical building services.
- Advised on key aspect of the architectural design which resulted in changes to cladding insulation, glazing type and entrance designs
- Instigated a set of environmental strategy drawings to inform system choice, avoid conflicting systems and inform controls
- Audited the controls specification and detailed control system descriptions
- Managed a programme of WLC component review looking at WLC based selection of major plant and equipment.
- Advised on procurement principles for clinical and non clinical equipment
Now during the construction and commissioning phase, Susan will advise on metering and commissioning for optimum efficiency.
Case Study – NSGH